A Serverless Plugin which bundles ruby gems from Gemfile and deploys them to the lambda layer automatically while running
It auto-configures the AWS lambda layer and RUBY_PATH to all the functions.
Navigate to your serverless project and install the plugin
sls plugin install -n serverless-ruby-layer
This will add the plugin to
package.json and the plugins section of
Check out the documentation here for,
service: basic plugins: - serverless-ruby-layer provider: name: aws runtime: ruby2.5 functions: hello: handler: handler.hello
source 'https://rubygems.org' gem 'httparty'
sls deploy automatically deploys the required gems as in Gemfile to AWS lambda layer and make the gems available to the
RUBY_PATH of the functions
The plugin operation can be customized by specifying the
custom configuration under
For example, to use docker environment for packing gem, the below configuration is added to
custom: rubyLayer: use_docker: true
For more detailse refer the docs here
Using the custom configuration, the plugin can be utilized for below cases,
- Using locally installed bundler for gems without any native extensions - Example - Docs
- Using Docker for gems with OS native C extensions or system libraries like
Nokogiri- Example - Docs
- Preinstall OS packages (yum packages) for gems which requires OS native system libraries like
RMagick- PG ruby2.5 Example , PG ruby2.7 Example - Docs
- Using Docker with environment variable passthrough - Example - Docs
- Using Dockerfile for gems which with other OS Linux image or system libraries and utilities - Example - Docs
- Using Dockerfile with custom build args - Example - Docs
- Include / Exclude specific functions from layer configuration - Include Example , Exclude Example - Docs
- Exclude test and development related gems from layer - Example - Docs
Bundler.require(:default)to require all gems in handler.rb by respecting Gemfile.lock - Example - Docs
Pull requests are welcome. For major changes, please open an issue first to discuss what you would like to change.
Please make sure to update the tests as appropriate.
Refer Guidelines for more information.