Automatically creates properly configured AWS CloudFront distribution that routes traffic to API Gateway.
Due to limitations of API Gateway Custom Domains, we realized that setting self-managed CloudFront distribution is much more powerful.
- Allows you to set-up custom domain for your API Gateway
- Enables CDN caching of resources - so you don't waste Lambda invocations or API Gateway traffic for serving static files (just set proper Cache-Control in API responses)
- Much more CloudWatch statistics of API usage (like bandwidth metrics)
- Real world access log - out of the box, API Gateway currently does not provide any kind of real "apache-like" access logs for your invocations
- Web Application Firewall support - enable AWS WAF to protect your API from security threats
$ npm install --save-dev serverless-api-cloudfront
- All apiCloudFront configuration parameters are optional - e.g. don't provide ACM Certificate ARN to use default CloudFront certificate (which works only for default cloudfront.net domain).
- This plugin does not set-up automatically Route53 for newly created CloudFront distribution. After creating CloudFront distribution, manually add Route53 ALIAS record pointing to your CloudFront domain name.
- First deployment may be quite long (e.g. 10 min) as Serverless is waiting for CloudFormation to deploy CloudFront distribution.
# add in your serverless.yml plugins: - serverless-api-cloudfront custom: apiCloudFront: domain: my-custom-domain.com certificate: arn:aws:acm:us-east-1:000000000000:certificate/00000000-1111-2222-3333-444444444444 waf: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 compress: true logging: bucket: my-bucket.s3.amazonaws.com prefix: my-prefix cookies: none headers: - x-api-key querystring: - page - per_page priceClass: PriceClass_100 minimumProtocolVersion: TLSv1
domaincan be list, so if you want to add more domains, instead string you list multiple ones:
domain: - my-custom-domain.com - secondary-custom-domain.com
cookiescan be all (default), none or a list that lists the cookies to whitelist
cookies: - FirstCookieName - SecondCookieName
querystringcan be all (default), none or a list, in which case all querystring parameters are forwarded, but cache is based on the list:
In order to make this plugin work as expected a few additional IAM Policies might be needed on your AWS profile.
More specifically this plugin needs the following policies attached:
You can read more about IAM profiles and policies in the Serverless documentation.
- Make sure you have at least one http event otherwise you'll get
The CloudFormation template is invalid: Template format error: Unresolved resource dependencies [ApiGatewayRestApi] in the Resources block of the template